Thank you for your interest. We are no longer accepting new applications for this position.
NCE Entry-Level Assistant Copy Editor
The editors of the Swedenborg Foundation’s New Century Edition of the Works of Emanuel Swedenborg (NCE) are seeking a full-time assistant copy editor at the entry level for remote work.
The ideal candidate will be interested in pursuing a career in editing and will be able to commit to working thirty to forty hours per week. The position is offered as contract work billed on an hourly basis at a rate to be negotiated. Annual renewal is dependent on performance and project funding.
The copyediting assistant will:
- Undergo remote training for the position
- Perform copyediting reads
- Run copyediting checks and proof checks from NCE checklists
- Proofread electronic and paper proofs
- Prepare electronic files for e-book conversion
- Check and edit indexes
In the above tasks, the assistant will:
- Pay attention to detail, but also exercise judgment to avoid getting bogged down in trivia
- Demonstrate good organization, concentration, and focus
- Be comfortable using a computer, and either have or be able to acquire (on the job) a facility with various software programs used in publishing, preferably on the Macintosh platform
- Communicate clearly, regularly, and readily with coworkers, particularly via email
- Possess self-motivation, but also a willingness to follow directions precisely
- Recognize mistakes in spelling, grammar, and style
- Work carefully with electronic paragraph and character styles
Optional but very desirable in a beginning assistant would be familiarity with:
- Swedenborg’s theology
- Grammar/style manuals
The Swedenborg Foundation is a nonprofit foundation located in West Chester, Pennsylvania. Its mission is to foster an affirmative, informed, and increasingly broad engagement with the theological message of Emanuel Swedenborg. Its New Century Edition is a series of twenty-seven volumes containing the theological works Emanuel Swedenborg published in his lifetime. To download sample volumes from the series, visit www.swedenborg.com.